How do you control an old urge while trying to maintain a vegetarian or vegan diet? We all get urges for a sandwich, hamburger, hot dog, egg salad, etc. The good news is there are great vegetarian or vegan products on the market today that can satisfy our strongest urges. Veggie burgers have come a long way. There are so many types on the market that are made with different base products. Try a variety to find which you like best. You can also use a Portobello mushroom cap as your burger (see recipe below). Load it up with your favorite sides, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, etc. There are also hot dog products that are great tasting and would fool the best taste buds. Sandwiches can be made with a variety of non meat cold cuts and non diary cheeses. Load them up with onion, tomato, lettuce and you have a great sandwich. I use extra firm tofu to make an egg salad (without eggs) that is yummy. You make this egg salad with turmeric (see recipe below)I love crunchy so I mix in carrots, celery, onion, etc.
Do not eat these foods everyday! They are processed foods, Use them when your urge is strong. Then go back to a diet mainly made up of nature produced foods. Enjoy food and enjoy your health.
- Summer Portobello Burgers on the Grill (georgefebish.wordpress.com)
- Vegetarian Barbecue Ideas (apartmentguide.com)
- Vegetarian Restaurants in Chicago (local.answers.com)
- V for vegan > Two local families reflect on the challenges and rewards of raising vegan children. (newsreview.com)
- Make, Eat, Repeat: Vegan Grilled Veggie Burger Recipe (ecosalon.com)
- Recipe: Best-Ever Veggie Burgers – Recipes from The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- Turmeric Egg Salad (food4myhead.wordpress.com)
- Grilled Portobello Burgers (livingwellatuhn.com)
- Food for Thought. (moodysistersblog.wordpress.com)
- French Veggie Burger (morganandoliviagotofrance.wordpress.com)