The Harvard School of Public Health says,1. Use liquid plant oils for cooking and baking.
2. Ditch the trans fat.
3. Switch from butter to soft tub margarine.
4. Eat at least one good source of omega-3 fats each day
5. Cut back on red meat, cheese, milk, and ice cream.
I agree with these guidelines except the last one. The so-called white meat is about 85% the fat of red, so you are not getting a low-fat amount. We have been marketed that white meat is so much healthier than red. It is close to the fat of red and should also be avoided or cut back on.
- New health worry found in red meat (foxnews.com)
- Six Reasons to Give Up Meat & Adopt a Plant-Based Diet (wholefed.org)
- Vegetarians? (speakingtruth22.wordpress.com)
- The Finances of Eating Healthy (community.ally.com)
- The Western diet really IS a killer: People who eat white bread, butter and red meat are most likely to die young (jtm71.wordpress.com)
- Compound In Red Meat, Energy Drinks, Raises Heart Risk Via Gut Bacteria (medicalnewstoday.com)